Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

Default Best solder free electrical connection

"dennis@home" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

aemeijers wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
(snip)
Yawn. US SS military jets were banned from populated areas long
before the first Concord was pieced together from British and french
landfills.

Uh, that was only partially to avoid the bad PR (and damage claims) from
sonic booms. It was mainly to avoid conflict with civil air traffic, and
collateral damage on the ground when one occasionally falls out of the
sky, sometimes at full power.

They would have had a lot of damage claims. I have an aunt that
lived near Wright-Patterson AFB, and the early flights broke windows and
cracked concrete block walls. I was there a couple times when the SS
Air Force jets went over. Her house and her neighbors always had
something happen. Broken dishes, windows, things knocked off shelves
and out of cabinets.

There is a big difference between a SS plane at 50 feet and one at 75000
feet.

At 50 feet, it would have hit a tree, and you don't land at 75,000
feet, which is 14.2 miles AAT. They have to descend to land, and gain
altitude to leave any airfield. Airports balked at longer runways for
747s, and many would have had to move to have anything longer. it would
take decades to use 'Eminent Domain' to take homes and businesses for
the extra land at current sites.

In case you hadn't noticed the shuttle flies supersonic over much of America
when its landing and doesn't cause any damage (apart from when it hits the
ground which isn't often).

Are you sure they have never caused any damage? Have you ever been
in Florida when one loops over the state before landing? That
distinctive double boom has a lot of energy when it's close. I've heard
plenty of them over the last 20 years. I also built some of the
communications equipment and telemetry equipment used to track them.

The entire you can't fly SS over land was just an excuse to keep Concorde
from flying across the US faster than the old planes.

prove it. No commercial SS was allowed, and military SS has limited
flight paths at lower altitudes which limits the bases they can operate
from.

As for cracking block walls I don't believe it.
I have seen an attempt to damage a house using a SS plane and it had to fly
ludicrously low (about 50 feet) and close (directly above) to even pop a
window.

Sigh. Do you ever study anything, or just type bull****?

I notice that the US military now has a plane with supercruise just like
Concorde used to do (F22).