Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why 3 phase ???

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:13:48 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

All commercial shops have 3 phase.

Oh Lord how I wish that were true!!!

Not all do... But the vast majority do.

We sell to large manufacturers world-wide and I'd guess maybe 5% don't have
three phase here in the USA whereas outside the USA the numebrs might be a
bit *lower* than that.

Indeed!

One of the advantages OmniTurn CNC lathes had over their
competiton..they would run on their VFDs on single phase..though abiet
at a slightly derated power. We spec'd and installed the highest
powered, most efficient VFD under single phase, for exactly that
reason.

Have LOTS of them in shops with no 3 ph.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)