Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Why 3 phase ???

Joe,
That example is drawing 23 amps at 220 volts.
NO Way you could get 5 HSP from half the voltage.
That is what they are pointing out. The amps times voltage does not
yield 5 HSP.

That was sorta my point. 23 FLA at 220v is roughly 46 FLA at 120v - which
AO Smith didn't even offer as an option.

Most of the HP ratings on consumer products are "peak" HP. ...and they
define peak as what it can out out for about 1/10th of a second.

A *VERY* common misconception thanks to creative advertising and labeling.
We run into it all the time with VAC systems, drill presses and the like.

Heck, I've got a 3 HP hand-held lazer pointer right here. grin

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244