Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Who was your Mentor And what was he like?

Aaron Eel (Ehrin) wrote:
Mine was an old finish carpenter named Walter Gaskell. One of the real
old-style, old-timers. He did finish-work in some of the finest
buildings in Sarasota, Florida in the 20s-40s, I think he said. He
also lived elsewhere in the state doing many other carpenter-
affiliated jobs into the 1980s. I believe he passed away in 1992…..
Before I could come to realize what he had done for me, taking me
under his wing and teaching me practically everything I know. Before I
was aware enough to thank him for it (and for everything else he did
for me).

[...]

My mentor was a customer in my store. He'd often stop to chat and during
these conversations he taught me the concept of "Quality Control Thinking."

His mantra was: "I don't care what you believe, in fact I don't even want to
hear it! I'm only interested in what you can prove. By 'prove' I mean
present evidence sufficient in itself to compel a rational mind to accept
the truth of your assertions."

He went on to give the example of UFOs: "I'm agnostic on the subject of
visitors from the stars. They might be or might not. I am NOT, however,
convinced by your personal anecdote about how many times you've had your
rectum probed by aliens. If you want to persuade me that UFOs exist, put a
piece of one in my hand."