Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff Gaines Jeff Gaines is offline

Default CD drive repair

On 23/08/2010 in message
o.uk Dave Liquorice
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:59:20 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

If the existing drive is the only drive on the ribbon cable,

There is some requirement for a single drive to be connected to a
particular connector on the cable. I think you connect a drive
configured as master to the connector closest to the motherboard as
slave to the end and it doesn't matter with cable select, ish that
is. If you have a hard drive and CD drive on one cable and both set
to cable select, it considered better to ensure the CD is a slave so
it should be on the end of the cable.

A single drive should be connected to the furthermost connector from the
mobo to avoid wave reflections, whatever they are. With 80 core connectors
the master is furthest from the mobo connector and slave nearest.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.