Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Fountain pump clogs

"Senin" wrote in message
I have a decorative outdoor water fountain (actually 2 of them).
Unfortunately every year the leaves fall into the fountain and
eventually the pump gets clogged. I try to clean out the leaves as
much as possible but the leaves wear down the pump and the pump
stops. It will work sporatically, then stop all together. Then I
have to buy another pump. This has been repeated several times. Any
suggestions on how to keep the leaves out of the pump?

I took a plastic milk carton, cut the top off, and drilled holes in it.
Stuck the pump in the carton then put some filter material in to block the
pump in. Seems to work pretty well. There are all sorts of methods though.

I suspect you could just cut a flap in the milk carton too and leave one
side of the flap still attached. It would just close itself. Cut a notch in
the flap for the power cord.