Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Wiring for LCD TV

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I asked one of my Jewish customers if the things kept Jehovah
Witnesses away from the door. I haven't seen my Jewish relatives in
many years because they live in Yankee land or I would ask them. Will
the presence of a Mezuzah repel door to door Christian proselytizers?

Dunno. They used to show up here and I told them the following story:

Written in Roman (instead of Hebrew) characters, the name of God is YHWH
(there are no vowels in Hebrew). When reading the Hebrew text aloud in the
synagogue, the Jew speaks the word "Adonai" (lord, master) when he
encounters YHWH in the sacred text, much like we say "et cetera" when
reading "etc." To avoid taking the name of the Lord in vain, the trick is to
never say God's name.

About A.D 200, the Masorites, fearing that the new generation was not
learning the holy language, invented vowels for Hebrew. These vowels took
the form of diacritical marks above and below the Hebrew letters. When it
came to the YHWH business, they Masorites used the vowels for Adonai, since
that was what everybody was saying.

Martin Luther, in translating the Hebrew and Greek texts into German did not
know the YHWH+Adonai trick, so he wrote the word in the German version of
the Bible as "Yahowah."

Using the Luther's German translation, English translators turned "Y" into
"J" and "W" into "V" yielding "Jehovah."

Bottom line: "Jehovah" is a completely made up word based on several
mistakes. Moses wouldn't know what it meant, Jesus wouldn't know what it
meant, and it's possible that when a Jehovah's Witness gets to heaven, St
Peter will say "Never heard of you."

I think the Witnesses passed the word around to not bother with my house;
it's filled with crazy people.