Guy LaRochelle

Default Hand planes?

Sounds like the same rules and standards as the first versions of Microsoft
Windows and windows applications (meaning there were no rules or standards)
grin. Thanks for the info. Regards. -Guy

There's no rhyme or reason to the numbering. 90% of the conversations
can be followed by remembering a few of Stanley's numbers:

#4 is a smoothing plane used for, uhm, smoothing
#5 is a jack plane used for fairly rough work
#6 is a bit longer than the jack plane
#7 is a jointer plane for leveling surfaces and getting straight edges
#8 is a longer version of the #7

#9-1/2, #60, #60-1/2, #65 are various incarnations of block planes

Manufacturers other than Stanley have their own numbering systems.
People use terms like #4 & #5 because you can't go to a flea market
or antique store without tripping over a Stanley bench plane. Millions
were produced. Heck, when I started letting coworkers and relatives
know that I was into hand planes I was given at least two of all the
above mentioned planes. Seems everyone had a few kicking around their
garage or attic because their father or grandfather had one for
trimming doors.

--
Scott Post

http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/