Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default ACK!! Stupid mistake hanging a door - any advice?

On Aug 22, 3:17*pm, wrote:
I've replaced all the interior doors in my house, but when I went to
replace the first of the exterior doors I made a dumb mistake. When I
ordered the door I wasn't given an option for thickness - I guess the
guy at the yard assumed being an exterior door it would be 1 3/4"
thick. I didn't ask, or even think to look until I got the door home,
morticed it, and hung it. YIKES it's 1 3/8", so it stands 3/8" proud
of the frame. That's not acceptable.

Seems I have three options: throw the $275 door away and get one the
right thickness; move all the stop strips out 3/8" and hope that I can
get the latches to work, inasmuch as the existing latch plates are
configured for a 1 3/8" door; or hire a contractor and write a big
check to let him worry about it.

What would you do?

Find a really good finish carpenter and pay him to do it. You
definitely will be much happier with the more robust exterior door.
You don't need a contractor, just ask at your local lumberyard for the
qualified expert you need.

Joe