Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Financial Idiocy

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Ed, is this debt including social security payouts causing the
government
to borrow to pay
out benefits?

The government has never had to borrow to pay out SS benefits. So the
answer
is, no.

I *thought* ss reciepts had been overtaken by payments this year?

It hasn't happened yet, Wes. Even when it does, it will have no significant
effect on the debt for a long time to come. But you're looking at the
sources of the national debt, and this one has *not* come into play. Not one
dollar of the debt reflects a SS income shortage.

Where is the money?

Which money are you speaking of? The money to pay SS? It comes from current
SS revenue, as always. So far. g

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/bu.../25social.html

Note that they say "projected," and that not everyone agrees. Recessions are
a big hit on SS, with revenues down and people taking early retirement. It
will swing up and down with the economy for some years to come.

Oh, glad to see you made it home okay.

Thanks. Fierce rainstorms really slowed us down. I got to share a beer with
Iggy while I was out there, and to see his amazing "hobby" project. He's
really built that Series II back from the ground up -- the electronics,
anyway.

--
Ed Huntress