Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default Backlight Dummy Load???

I pick up free lcd monitors at garage sales and fix 'em.
Biggest problem is getting them to run while you have 'em
disassembled.
Seems as if they TRY to make it hard to run 'em.

Would be much easier if I didn't have to hook up the backlights.
But running the inverter with out a load is surely a BIG STRESS
on the transformers and maybe the driver.

What's a good dummy load that I can put on the connections to keep
the voltage spikes from arcing/shorting the transformer secondary?
The lamp load is decidedly nonlinear. And there's several watts to
dissipate.

Cutting the power supply trace to the inverter works, as long as the
problem isn't in the inverter supply, but it's
kinda brute force.

I have a bunch of laptop backlights, but I'm afraid to use them
as load for bigger monitors. Big current difference.

Anybody successfully constructed a backlight proxy (dummy load)?
Explanation?

Thanks, mike