Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default CD drive repair

Pete Zahut wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

My PC CD drive has stopped working.

The tray opens & closes OK, but according to My Computer there is
nothing there. Tried various CD's with the same result & tried the
apparently blank CD's in SWMBO's PC and all works fine.

I'm assuming the drive is FUBER so is it just a case of buying a new
CD drive & swapping it over - which I could prolly manage, or is it
likely to be some confounded software glitch?

Advice welcome at numpty level please :-)

Angle grinder is on standby....

You don't say what OS but googling "missing cd drive xp" gives this
as the first hit

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

It is XP, sorry should have said.

Tried that and it said the media in the drive was not readable. Tried it
with 2 x CD's which work fine in SWMBO's PC (Vista).

Thanks anyway.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk