Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Neil Howard Neil is offline

Default CD drive repair

Hi

My PC CD drive has stopped working.

The tray opens& closes OK, but according to My Computer there is nothing
there. Tried various CD's with the same result& tried the apparently blank
CD's in SWMBO's PC and all works fine.

I'm assuming the drive is FUBER so is it just a case of buying a new CD
drive& swapping it over - which I could prolly manage, or is it likely to
be some confounded software glitch?

Advice welcome at numpty level please :-)

Angle grinder is on standby....

Most likely it is the CD that is defective. Just change it, they are
cheap enough. Have a look at eBuyer. The only thing to note is if your
PC is IDE or SATA (if you are not sure how to tell, just ask). Make sure
you get the right one.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pr...imit=50&page=1

--
Howard Neil