Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Eel (Ehrin) Aaron Eel (Ehrin) is offline

Default Submersible Pump Problem Has Me Stumped....

I have a 1-1/2hp submersible pump that is acting very strange. It is
less than two years old and the well is about 90 feet deep. It has
been running really good for all this time with excellent pressure.
Just this morning the problem started. The shower was running and it
just stopped. I waited about 2 minutes and I heard the pump kick on,
and the water returned (with comparable pressure). Then after a minute
it stopped again. I have used well water for at least half of the last
30 years so I'm no stranger to pump problems. I went out to the well
and checked the points in the pressure switch. The psi read about 45
(mine is set to 40/60). I turned on a garden hose but it just emptied
the tank and the pump didn't come on. I immediately checked the
points. They were only about 6 months old and they still looked good.
No bugs or corrosion. But they were totally closed. They were not
welded shut however. I was able to seperate them easily with the edge
of the plastic switch cap. But as soon as I would release them, they
would jump closed again. This whole time the pump had power but did
not come on at all. Then it finally came on after another minute. It
ran the pressure up to about 45psi and suddenly stopped. It sort of
fizzled out instead of the normal kick it puts down when it stops. And
the points still remained closed!
I went ahead and installed a new pressure switch just to be sure. The
same thing happened. I checked to see if the lines were all hot and
they were. The pressure in the holding tank was at 38psi. Just where
it should be. The only thing left now is the control box (which was
installed new with the pump) or the pump itself. I have some water now
to get me by, but I only turn the power on at the breaker and only if
we really need it. And only for that time. Any ideas?

Thanks.......