Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne[_2_] Dave Osborne[_2_] is offline

Default Piano wheels

Tim Watts wrote:
I have an upright piano (can't play but my daughter can).

It's a nice piano, and pretty heavy.

Problem is it has tiny metal wheels which play havoc with slate.

I found some meaty proper piano wheels on the web (designed for school
pianos).

But knowing that pianos are made out of pretty substantial wood, I was
wondering if there were any gotcha's with screwing them on? Like maybe
drilling clearance holes only a little smaller than the screw thread? And
the correct type of screw (coach screws?).

What sort of wood are piano structural members made from?

Ooh, you don't want to do that. I expect that the wheels you have seen
are for making a dolly to move the piano, and require a mechanism to put
the piano back on the floor when you're finished moving it.

If you put large diameter wheels permanently on (the bottom of) a piano,
you will have to consider that you will be raising the piano up, which
means that the pedals will be off the floor, the keyboard will be too
high and you may not have enough adjustment in the bench. To get around
this you would need to put the piano on a dolly which was big enough to
put the bench on as well. This would not look good in a domestic
environment.

What you would normally do in a domestic environment is put your piano
on castor cups. There are various options: -

http://www.pianoaccessoryshop.co.uk/...ups-368-0.html

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-access...shop/index.php

also called caster cups and glides if you're Googling.

HTH
DaveyOz