Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Piano wheels

Spamlet wrote:

The one we had in our hall (scratching the tiles as the tiny wheels rarely
actually turn in any case...) was anything but substantial wood inside.
Looked lovely on the outside, but when I pondered the internal wreckage of
crappy tinder dry bits of wood fallen down or broken all over the place, I
decided I had better things to do with my time and passed it on to someone
else for a restoral hobby. If yours is in any way valuable or antique I
would ask a valuer for an opinion before starting any changes.

I don't think it is an antique, but it is a very respectable make - hasn't
been tuned yet after many years and only a couple of notes are off.

Fair point though.

Otherwise,
just try it and see.

I can imagine the surface you stand it on and the degree of damping
provided by the wheel materials and attachment might make a difference to
the sound. I would imagine your daughter will have to be the final judge
of that.

I suppose that could make a difference - but at the end, my floor is more
important, so the piano gets the short straw on this one (I consider it
essential to be able to move it easily for cleaning without having to load
it on a dolly!). Daughter is 6 - so she won't notice. When I say she can
play better than me, it's true. She's well onto to two hands and can
basically sight read (I never could).

The other option I suppose, is to have a carrier frame with wheels that it
sits on. Sadly that's the sort of thing a few bits of box iron and a Mig
would knock up, but I'm Mig deprived right now.

I guess I should try normal pilot holes for the bolts, and if they are too
tight, drill out until it feels right. These mega wheels have a proper
square mounting plate that is larger than the area scribed by the wheel in
any rotation, so with no real turning forces, the screws are only for
lateral restraint - they don't have to take a huge amount of force.

Sounds like a couple of quilts and get it on its back time.

--
Tim Watts