Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Piano wheels

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:

I have an upright piano (can't play but my daughter can).

It's a nice piano, and pretty heavy.

Problem is it has tiny metal wheels which play havoc with slate.

I found some meaty proper piano wheels on the web (designed for school

^^^^ rubber tyred

pianos).

But knowing that pianos are made out of pretty substantial wood, I was
wondering if there were any gotcha's with screwing them on? Like maybe
drilling clearance holes only a little smaller than the screw thread? And
the correct type of screw (coach screws?).

What sort of wood are piano structural members made from?

Cheers

Tim

The one we had in our hall (scratching the tiles as the tiny wheels rarely
actually turn in any case...) was anything but substantial wood inside.
Looked lovely on the outside, but when I pondered the internal wreckage of
crappy tinder dry bits of wood fallen down or broken all over the place, I
decided I had better things to do with my time and passed it on to someone
else for a restoral hobby. If yours is in any way valuable or antique I
would ask a valuer for an opinion before starting any changes. Otherwise,
just try it and see.

I can imagine the surface you stand it on and the degree of damping provided
by the wheel materials and attachment might make a difference to the sound.
I would imagine your daughter will have to be the final judge of that.