Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Core Memory

flipper wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 23:16:34 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Tim Williams wrote:
Sometimes, they'll do an episode where some story happens, which
changes itself, so only you, the viewer, know anything happened. The
universe is still the same as last week. They did that a few times
on TNG.

I liked the environmentalist episode where they discovered that warp speed
was destroying space, so they had to be limited to warp 5 or so, from then
on. Next week, it was back to warp 9!!!

A common effect of scripts written by warped minds...

TNG was 'politically correct' from the get go and nothing highlighted
it more than Pickard's one chance to destroy the 'crystalline entity'
and all he wants is to 'talk' to the damn thing.

PC and SF just don't go together.

TOS handled the juxtaposition between 'fight' and 'negotiate' with
much more range, nuance, and balance.

Which would be what would happen in real life. I knew the series
would be crap when they announced that the 'saucer section' could
separate from the rest of the ship. IOW, they weren't prepared for
their missions, and devised a way to run and hide.

Pickard was the worst ship's captain of anything I've ever seen or
read in Science Fiction in the last 50 years.