Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Ground zero mosque.

On Aug 20, 11:28*am, Han wrote:
"JimT" wrote stnet:

"Han" wrote in message
.. .
snip

I'm against organized religion (for myself), but archbishop Dolan of
New York said that it was similar to a catholic proposal to build a
nunnery next to Auschwitz. *That was insensitive too, and was moved
quite a distance away, if it got built at all. *So Dolan proposed
also to move this
quite nice community center some disance further from GZ.

My thoughts on the subject are almost identical to Dolan's.

For the record - I think that all those who said this was a freedom
of religion issue, if all ordinances were followed, are right. *I
also think, as many do, that it is a bit insensitive to stick your
nose that close. snip

The 106th congress removed all doubt as to whether or not it is a
freedom of religion issue:

http://www.rluipa.com/index.php/article/398.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establi...First_Amendmen

Legally the opponents of the mosque don't have a chance.

Jim

I also think that legally the opponents of the cultural center don't have
a chance. *But this is a sensitivity issue, and the proponents have not
been cultivating the appropriate people properly, at least according to
what I read. *They should have had dialog with groups possibly against
their plan, rather than ignoring them. *Probably too late now to start
that dialog. *It's a pity that muslims could not have been included in
the GZ plans better. *After all, muslims died in the disaster just like
atheists, hindus and christians (note lower case).

Where is your evidence that Muslims were in any way treated
differently in the ground zero plans than Christians or Hindus? As
I recall, it was a redevelopment project focused on rebuilding and
creating a memorial to the 911 victims. I did not see any reports of
religous involvement from any faith and certainly never heard about
Muslims not participating. I would assume, since Muslims were
victims and are a significant percentage of the population of NYC,
that Muslims were involved all along, but not from a religous
perspective.

--
Best regards
Han