Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Cabinet hinges

On 8/20/2010 7:39 AM, dadiOH wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
I'll need to make new wall cabinets (maple 3/4" ply, about 3' 6"
tall). I'm thinking about hinges.

perhaps:

http://www.cabinetparts.com/c/hinges...eries-200-120/

It seems to me that there are a few things to consider:

What tools are required to mount them?

How accurate do you have to be? I'd like to keep the doors close
together with little space between them. I note some are adjustable.

Something better, cheaper?

Better is subjective.

Your choice of hinges depends a lot on how you are making the
cabinets and doors...face frame or no?...overlay doors?...partial
inset doors?...inset doors?

Frameless with overlay doors.

IMO, the easiest is face frame with 1/2" overlay doors. This is a
hinge I like for that...inexpensive ($1.00 or so each) and easy to
use. Two per door is adequate for your size door. No tools
necessary to mount other than a screwdriver and something to make a
pilot hole.
http://www.amerock.com/products/item...rap-12-overlay

A variation...
http://www.amerock.com/products/item...ble-12-overlay

That takes me in a direction I had not thought of. I'm thinking those
need a face frame?

I know little about hinges but had been impressed by the european hinges
I saw at IKEA. Those mount with the pocket and with a hole bored though
the edge. That I didn't think I could do accurately. (not the 35mm but
the edge bore) It looks to now that only IKEA mounts hinges that way.

I don't mind harder, or the cost. Just so I don't screw it up... At
the moment I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around setting reveal.

I should be able to cut the cabinets and doors accurately. I have a
radial arm and in a distant life I made a number of speaker cabinets.
Beyond that I see that cabinetry is a whole new world.

Jeff