Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a new TS rip blade.

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:06:53 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
How is blade life on a thin kerf? Don't they heat up and dull a whole
lot more quickly?

If anything, I'd expect less wear on a thin-kerf. They use less power
to cut, so they shouldn't get as hot. Less mass, too, but the surface
area is the same (and any dissipation through the hub, trunion,....

I suspect equal wear, but where do you get the idea that less power needed
from the motor would equate to "should not get hot"?

Less power == less heat. Assuming the power needed to turn the saw is
proportional to the kerf width, the heat generated is also proportional to the
kerf width. The dissipation will be proportional to the surface area and the
dissipation through the bearings is a constant (with temperature), so a
thin-kerf should run at a *lower* temperature.

Actually I often over heated a thin kerf blade, for what ever reason. It
warped enough to see, as it cooled it straightend back up some what.

Yes, it's understandable that a thin-kerf will warp more easily since it's not
as rigid. That likely goes both ways, though. It'll more likely recover than
a standard kerf.