Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default OT Ground zero mosque.

"HeyBub" wrote:
-snip-

"Sensitivity" should cast SOME weight, but rubbing-their-face-in-it has got
to count for something too.

I don't see how building a center on a block with strip clubs, retail
businesses, and falafel stands is 'rubbing anyone's face' in anything.

You raise some good points. But the issue won't go away. This controversy
has stepped on the president's message about the economy and such for a
whole week now.

Then, too, there's the small Greek Orthodox Church - built in 1832 - that
was destroyed when the towers fell. The Deacons of the church STILL have not
gotten permission to rebuild nine years later.

Not exactly. They *could* rebuild the same church where it was---
but they are negotiating with the city to get a bigger piece of land
for a bigger church.

Part of that long story was told in the NY Times last year-
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/ny.../19church.html

[and also note that the Islamic center has not even begun the process
of getting permits to build- I don't think they even have the
architectural drawings done-- Actual building is years down the road.]

Some should ask why the mayor
of New York and the president of the United States can so eagerly defend the
right of an Islamic center but say nary a word to help a small church get a
building permit.

Both have defended the religious rights of Muslims in general. The
President has not weighed in on this particular site. The Gov. has
offered to try to find an alternate piece of land for the Islamic
center. Frankly, I think they should both STFU - it is a *local*
concern.

And, as to your question whether we should let 19 Muslims alter our view of
the remaining two billion, I think we can as long as there are fewer than 19
among the 2 billion stepping up to condemn the actions of the first group.

Then we shouldn't because at last count there 1.86789325 billion who
are peace seeking folks. There were probably a couple hundred
Muslims killed in the towers. I'll bet 20 of their friends and
family condemn the hijackers.

Jim