Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Need a new TS rip blade.

wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:35:25 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

..

That is with the assumption that the thin and thick are equal in quality
and
sharpness. A premium regular kerf will cut better and faster than a
mediocre thin kerf blade on the same saw.

True, that assumption was implicit. Why would you favor a dull thin-kerf
over
a sharp standard kerf? ...or verse visa.

I did not say dull, not all new blades are equally sharp.

And going a bit farther on the subject, ;~)

I was building several drawers today and got to use my "Kerf Maker", drive
by. Any way it occurred to me again why I have better results with thick
kerf vs. thin kerf. I use 1/4" plywood for the bottoms and cut snug dado's
for them to fit in to. Cheap 1/4" plywood is about 7/32" thick and the
outer and inner blades on a dado set are too wide. So I make two passes
with my thick kerf blade. With a think kerf blade that requires three
passes instead of two and also I recall when I did this long ago with a thin
kerf blade the dado width would not be constant. I suspect that because
only the outer side of the blade is cutting on the final pass the thinner
blades will deflect.