Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve S \(another one\)[_6_] Steve S \(another one\)[_6_] is offline

Default Anyone explain this voltage anomaly

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have a Netgear Switch (GS108) that has been running 24/7 for around 8
years.

The other week it stopped working with all the lights lit up but no
activity going through it.

On searching the web for any clues I came across 1 or 2 posts referring to
"dodgy" power supplies. So before binning the switch, I swapped the power
supply for another Netgear one.
However the original power supply was 12V and the one I was trying was
only 5V. To my astonishment it worked.

So I ordered a new 12V exact replacement for the original power supply. It
arrived today but the switch is exactly the same. The lights all light up
but no activity.

I can't understand what the problem is?
The switch is marked 12V, the original power supply and replacement power
supply are both 12V but they don't operate it.
Yet the 5V power supply appears to operate it just fine.

Will I be damaging either the Switch or the 5V power supply by using them
together?
Anyone know why the 12V power supply isn't able to work it correctly even
although it is certainly able to power it?!?!

Cheers.

I expect that the switch has a 5V regulator inside that has gone short.

Steve S