Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default Farewell, Green Bosch, you lasted long

wrote:

I've still got a black and decker model 1 going. I inherited it from my
father. I've the original receipt somewhere for about £1/9/11 (£1.50) It
has a 1/4" chuck locked by an allen key, and is very short but not very
powerful 250w?). It's main use is getting into confined spaces, but I seem
to find more modern items for that these days. days.

I've got one of those too, it was the first power drill I ever had and it
must be over 50 years old now. According to the rating plate it's 220 watts
but seems much less than that now. The allen key chuck was its greatest
weakness - very difficult to get it to grip tight and stay tight. I ended
up ditching the chuck in favour of a 1/4" Jacobs one which was a great
improvement. Those were the days, you had just one power drill and could
get lots of different attachments to turn it into all sorts of different
tools - orbital sander, portable saw, bench saw, drill press, jigsaw, hedge
trimmer, lathe, floor polisher etc.

--
Mike Clarke