Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Technics SA-R210 Receiver

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:51:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

A simple voltmeter can give a lot of information particularly while
it's in 'failed' mode. While power devices (transistors and the main
audio power IC) can go 'thermal, I haven't seen a thermally sensitive
transistor in many years. The most common way back when was the TO-220
case devices - just like Q 701,702 and 705 but I would put money on
bad solder joints.

On the similar SA-160 which has 2 regulator transistors on the main
heat sink, all 6 terminals were cracked loose. After re-soldering
those I unsoldered the main power IC and resoldered it too since it is
mounted the same way as the transistors. Surprisingly, none of the
foil pads were damaged.

If you could render just a rough break-down of what was involved
in resoldering the 6 terminals, it would be very much appreciated.

Thx,