Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pilgrim Pilgrim is offline

Default Semi-conductor Question

In article
,
Bob Villa wrote:

Many years ago (possibly 50) you could buy a module that would take
the place of a starting relay or centrifugal cut-out for an AC motor.
Where do you find them? (I think I sent for one thru Popular Science
mag at the time)
Thanks

I don't know about a solid state version. But, there are
electro-mechanical versions that are quite common on motors less than
1 hp. They control the input to the start winding with a current
sensitive relay. When the motor is turned on the inrush current closes
the circuit to the start winding. When the motor gets up to speed and
the current drops to the run value the relay opens the circuit the the
start winding. I believe Klixon made them. You might try and google them.

CP