Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a new TS rip blade.

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:00:36 -0500, "
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:38:41 -0700, "CW" wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
" I have seen and heard ..."

I am not citing anicdotal evidence. I am citing the closest thing to a
labratory experiment available, the FWW labs. They tested thin kerf
alongside full size and found NO evidence of "wobble" or deflection,
even specifically on shaving cuts where one side of the blade is
unsupported.

But no one is stopping you from buying extra metal amd making extra
sawdust and wearing our your saw motor extra early and burning rips
when you bog your saw, etc. etc.

I used to have a one horsepower tablesaw. Never used thin kerf blades on it.
Never had any trouble cutting whatever I wanted on it. Blade design and feed
rate are much more important than blade thickness.

Quite obviously a standard kerf blade will use 33% more power than a thin
kerf. If the saw has enough power with a standard kerf blade, of course you
won't see a difference. If it's marginal thin-kerf is a good idea.

How is blade life on a thin kerf? Don't they heat up and dull a whole
lot more quickly?

I don't have but a couple cuts on the Diablo I bought for the skilsaw,
maybe 5' in total, so I don't know yet.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.