Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer steamer is offline

Default Work hardening 304

Steve Lusardi wrote:
All stainless will work harden. Some alloys more than others. (304 is easy) The general rule is to use a fast feed, low RPM and a
broad nose on the tool. Of course this assumes the lathe is stiff enough to handle the increased load. Small lathes makes these
jobs very difficult. My suggestion is to use M42 cobalt tools (8% Cobalt)
and more tool relief angle to reduce tool drag.

--Yeah; a proper tool would probably help a lot. I'm using a stock
boring tool with a brazed on carbide that's pretty square-ish, so to speak.
will try grinding in a wee bit more relief angle.

Carbide cannot support the amount of relief required. Normal HSS isn't hard
enough and all tools must be SHARP.

Please also consider using a cool mister. Anything to resist temperature
rise also helps.

--Am using one; running it rich too. Mobil synthetic lube seems to
work pretty well.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A human without a critter
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is incomplete..