Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer steamer is offline

Default Work hardening 304

Karl Townsend wrote:
MACHINIST MATRA:
304 she's a whore, 303, she's for me.

--Heh I know the mantra and I'm afraid I'm stuck with 304 due to the
superior welding quality. After machining these 'sleeves' they have to be
welded to flanges.

When I cut 304 on the Monarch 10EE, I'd set the feed at leat .005 and
take a miniumum cut of .025 even for the finish pass. Forget about a
spring pass. In back gear for more torque if over one inch. Slow
speeds. I use cutting oil on stainless. The only other job I use oil
on is threading.

--I have lathe envy! I was trying to use a Myford Super 7B but the
problem is hanging onto the parts: using the outside jaws on the lathe I
could only hold about 3/8" of the end of the bar so I bored out soft jaws
and tried to use the mill instead. I've got a Criterion boring head but
beyond a certain diameter there just isn't enough horsepower in the
Bridgeport to keep the cut depth the same. Will try again today with
shallower depth of cut.

On the Mazak M4 (20 hp gear head - 16,000 lb. machine) negative rake
carbide tooling and coolant will cut SS all day long. A big rigid
machine do help.

--Negative rake tooling? So the cutter is, so to speak, dragging
across the cut? Hmmmm.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A human without a critter
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is incomplete..