Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default Momentum timer (From "re OT Sail downwind faster than the wind! on seb)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:15:25 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:24:26 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:49:59 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

You don't believe I guessed 100 us? I posted it in SED days before you
did the tests. You replied "noted", obviously expecting me to be
wrong. Sorry to disappoint.

---
Wow, with a chip that big on your shoulder, I'd be willing to bet
you're well on your way to scoliosis.

Ermm...
Of course I believe you posted it. I acknowledged it, didn't I?

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that you won't reveal the
reasoning that led up to the guess, so who's to know if it really
_was_ a guess?

You always say: "Show your work", but when it comes time for you to
walk the walk, you balk.

I can't show my work because there wasn't any work, or at least any
conscious work. I visualized the impact and guessed. That's what a
guess is, a guess.

The trick is to guess right. The real trick it to usually guess right.

Makes one suspect any number of nasty things...

Naturally. You need to believe that I cheated somehow. The alternative
is intolerable.

---
Not intolerable, let's just say "unlikely".

However, it doesn't really matter; you came close to the right answer,
however you did it, and that's that.

Congratulations.
---

Anyway, here're some facts for you; let's see if you can juggle them
around and get 100µs from make to break in the 3 ball case.

The balls are made from ASTM B134 Grade 260 brass, (70Sn 30Zn) are Mc
Master Carr P/N 9617K47, have a diameter of 0.75" +/- 0.001, and weigh
about 32 grams.

The length of the suspension is 4.5" from the upper restraint to the
center of the ball.

The velocity of sound in 70/30 brass is:

Plane Longitudinal: 4700 m/s
Plane Transverse (shear): 2100 m/s

The plane longitudinal is for the bulk material, so is probably more
accurate for a spherical structure.

For a pendulum, the velocity of the bob at the bottom of its arc is:

V = sqrt {2gL[1-cos(a)]}

Where V is the velocity in m/s
g is the acceleration of gravity in m/s²
L is the the length of the suspension (the "rod") in meters, and
a is angle from plumb at which the ball is released.

Wanna play?

I already estimated the time, before you even measured it.

---
Actually, "guessed" is a better word.
---

It's your move next.

---
I don't think so. You must have missed the earlier:

"Anyway, here're some facts for you; let's see if you can juggle them
around and get 100µs from make to break in the 3 ball case."
---

Do the math and see how close it comes to the measurements.
Of course, you already know my guess *and* the experimental results.

Sure, do the math and post it.

---
I've already done the math and found the 150 µs incongruous.

The invitation was extended to you in order to see whether you'd
independently arrive at the same conclusions I did and, possibly,
either explain the incongruity or guess at the reason for it, so I'll
not post my work, yet.

The ball's in your court, so you can either hit it back or walk away.

As for me, this has gotten beyond tedious so I'm ready to quit any
time.

---
JF