Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Follow-up on Golf-Cart charger

On Aug 19, 3:33*pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 04:47:28 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:

Seems like none of you know what the f you are doing, start by going
towww.batteryuniversity.com,

Thanks. *Very difficult reading, but I"ll look some more. *The new
owner will never read this stuff; she wasn't happy when I told her she
had to set the voltmeter at 20 to measure one battery and 200 for all
6. *She said she'll leave it at 20 and measure each one. *I didn't get
into the reasons that might not work as well.

try googling Battery maintenance, get a
quality V meter and quality Prism gravity hydrometer. You are ruining
batteries if you dont take care of them, *you are not taking care of
them by guessing and relying on a charger.

The other manager used to have an electric golf cart but now has a
gasoline one. * Maybe I'll ask her how long the batteries lasted, but
she might have forgotten by now.

Its not very technical, its about how much voltage each cell has and
if the charger gets each cell 100% charged. Call the charger
manufacturer and ask how it works. A volt meter just confirms the
charger is calibrated and checking each cell once in awhile tell you
if a battery is going bad and ruining the whole pack. I bet your
charger is a good one but knowing what it does will save alot of money
over the long run by letting you know when things are not 100% right
by catching problems before a bad charger ruins a whole pack of
batteries. Its the same as your car, mine charges to about 13.25v just
when the car is shut off, then settles to about 12.8 in about maybe 30
minutes and the next day may be at 12.5. my alternator when the car is
running is about 14v + . Once you learn about this stuff it makes
battery care and diagnosing easy, the point is catching a failure
early. Have you cleaned all terminal connections, thats part of
regular maintenance as well.