Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default how much to point a house

Calla wrote:
Hi folks. I think I need some of the pointing doing on my house. There
are little patches here and there that look like they need doing so I
ws wondering if it's possible to just get the patches done or will it
look funny and am I better off getting the whole house done?
If I get it all done, does anyone have any idea how much it might cost
to get an average, brick built semi done so i have some general idea
of the cost?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Andy.

I charge £15 per metre for raking out and re-pointing to a depth of 12.5mm.
I don't use scaffolding cos it's too expensive and customers don't want to
pay for it, but sometimes I use the 'zip-up' towers if it's easier, but
mostly I do it off ladders.

Patch pointing is OK but it has the undesired effect of making the remainder
look bad, that is to say, I had a customer ask me to re-point 'where it
needs it', so I did and then she pointed out 'this bit needs doing, and that
bit needs doing', so I said, 'yes but it didn't need doing until I done the
patches near it, and now it looks crap'.

It worked out that I ended up pointing the whole house.

As a rough guide, a hipped semi (gutters on all three sides) is around 75m2
and a semi with a peak (gutters front and back only) is around 88m2, so
depending on where you live, round about £1200 and if they won't work off
ladders, you'll have to pay about 5-600 for scaffolding

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008