Charles Bragg

Default African Mahogany finishing

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:14:13 -0700, "Glenn de Souza"
wrote:

I respectfully disagree with your wood supplier. I have finished this
species and avoided blotching by using a toned shellac. Add TransTint dye to
shellac to create a toned finish which you apply until you get the
color/depth the way you want, then seal it in with a clear finish topcoat.
No blotching.

Have to agree with Glenn. I followed Jeff Jewitt's tips in FWW
a few months ago. He was trying to recapture the look of real Cuban
mahogany. I didn't realize at the time that I had African, so in a way
my quest was hopeless, but using the Trans-tint toned shellac did
*not* leave blotches.
Wood looks good, and as long as I don't tell my visitors that
the grain was *IMPOSSIBLE* to sand, plane or scrape as smooth as "new
world" mahogany, they think the surface texture was intentional :-)

=====
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
=====
{remove curly brackets for email}