Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] PlainBill47@yawho.com is offline

Default Opinions Requested - new 50"+ LCD TV

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:39:13 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

Well I'm going to replace my 11 yr old 51" Panasonic projector.
Not because it doesn't work, actually works very well. It's highest
resolution is 480p. I'll be shopping for a new LCD set equal in size
or slightly larger soon. Of course I want a great fast picture with
super high contrast. And reliability. I might spend around $3000 US.
What are some choices and their advantages?

I'd like to point out that the aspect ratio of the screens should be
taken into consideration. Your 50" 3:4 Panasonic has a picture height
of roughly 30". To maintain the same picture height you would need a
60" wide screen TV. That is easily possible with DLP and plasma, and
even with LCD TVs.

My chief knock against DLP is a somewhat restricted viewing angle.
And let's be honest, the sets are much thicker than a comparable sized
LCD or plasma. However, a 65" DLP will easily fit within your price
limit.

As far as Plasma vrs LCD, the usual advice applies, avoid house
brands. Both are viable technologies. Plasma will cost you less.
Potentially, LCD will last longer. These are one of the products
where an extended warranty is a good idea.

Ultimately, you and your eyes (and ears) are going to have to make the
decision. In plasma I would go with Samsung or Panasonic, take a
lookat LG is you want to but I'd avoid buying an LG plasma.

In LCD I'd suggest Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic. Sharp's Quattron
process may be more of a marketing gimic that a real advantage.
Again, you are the judge.

3D is available in all three technologies. I'm of the opinion that it
is more of a gimic than a real step forward. Certainly nothing I have
seen persuades me to believe the reason so many movies are shot in 3-D
is the producer is trying to disguise the fact they have a mediocre
script, poor actors, and a director who is well past his prime.

PlainBill