Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Need advise on buying a drill press.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:54:14 -0400, clare wrote:
As for quality, what could go wrong with a drill press?

Lots. The chuck kept falling off mine untill I put it on with
"permanent" Lock-tite.
It's a cheap nasty peice of Chinese trash and the only thing it will
drill a half-inch hole in is basswood or lead.

I've said it before on here, but a word of advice - don't buy online, and
shop around at a few stores. It's perhaps not the same at the high end of
the market, but lots of low/mid-range presses seem to use the same motors
and headstock, with the manufacturer doing little more than changing the
case and branding. Price can vary quite a lot, but the bits that are
likely to fail or not do a good job are still the same.

cheers

Jules