Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Alternative to Muriatic acid?

wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:45:15 -0400, Tony

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:23:07 -0700 (PDT), "Hustlin' Hank"
wrote:

On Aug 16, 12:18 pm, Han wrote:
"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in news:c8391a64-b33b-443a-a75b-
:

Yes, phosphoric acid is also used to etch concrete.
Hank
But phosphoric acid isn't volatile, while muriatic acid is, so cleanup is
more difficult with phosphoric acid.

--
Best regards
Han

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q0QjqzIl3A

Hank
I've used both. Phosphoric works, but not nearly as agressive as
hydrochloric or sulfuric. And the cleanup us more work. Mabee the
Phosphoric I used wasn't as strong as the hydrochloric and sulphuric
were. The big advantage to the sulphuric is the acid was free and we
needed to get rid of it one way or other anyway. A big pile of
batteries that needed to be shipped to the lead smelter netted in
excess of 10 gallons of pretty strong acid.

The advantage of hydrochloric (muriatic) is it is available from any
pool supply or hardware stoor.

Phosphoric hardly fizzes at all on normal concrete, while Hydrochloric
and sulphuric really "get up a head of steam".

The phosphoric is definitely SAFER.

Not if it's coming out of lead acid batteries. I wonder how much lead
you put into the ground, or did you contain all the liquid and take it
to a hazardous waste site?

For crying out loud READ!!!!!
I said Phosphoric is safer. Since when is battery acid phosphoric???

SHeesh!!!!

For crying out loud READ!!!!!
"The big advantage to the sulphuric is the acid was free and we needed
to get rid of it one way or other anyway. A big pile of batteries that
needed to be shipped to the lead smelter netted in excess of 10 gallons
of pretty strong acid."

There is a salvage yard in ND that recycled batteries with the sulfuric
acid dumped. They had to excavate a lot of dirt and send it to a haz
disposal site.