Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman[_2_] Leo Lichtman[_2_] is offline

Default Problem with a 1/2 inch spindle gouge

"Kevin Miller" wrote: (clip) only when I'm making a cove, (clip)
Sorry, I'm not sure I remember the procedure for avoiding this, but I do
recall a class where we were shown that this is a particular problem with
coves. I think it is because, as the gouge approaches the bottom of the
cove, the side that's not cutting can touch the other side of the cove. So
draw the gouge back so only the tip is contacting the wood (making the gouge
effectively narrower) or switch to a smaller gouge, or both. And keep the
cuts very light.