Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28889 Ignoramus28889 is offline

Default Strange Bridgeport problem, brake does not work

On 2010-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ned Simmons fired this volley in
:

Sounds like the solenoid valve is not shifting properly. The spool is
getting stuck in an intermediate position when you try to apply the
brake. Look for a manual override on the solenoid -- it may be a very

I don't think so. I think you have a torn o-ring on that valve's spool.

It's normally easy to fix, Ig. If it's an Ingersoll-Rand style of valve,
there's a snap ring on one end that when removed allows the spool to slide
out. You replace the o-rings (all of them) clean and re-grease the bore,
and slide it back in.

Lloyd, I am not fully convinced that it is a valve problem. It is more
likely to be a cylinder problem, because air is leaking through
exhaust. I will try a troubleshooting technique that I mentioned to
try to isolate the issue.