Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon Grimly Curmudgeon is offline

Default Farewell, Green Bosch, you lasted long

Drilling a round of holes in a 2' thick stone wall, for a 5" flue and
the Bosch went phut with a flash, a puff of smoke, an acrid smell and a
"*******!", as it happened near my head.
It lasted amazingly well; eight years of heavy use drilling and
chiselling, with only a set of brushes needed two years ago.
The model was a PBH 2200RE, green body, but behaved like a blue'un.

Ho-hum, I had to dig out the standby; an old SDS 110V AEG badged as
Atlas Copco, but which doesn't have rotary stop. Tough old thing,
though; it carried on drilling the holes. Annoyingly, my 650mm 12mm SDS
bit got well and truly stuck in an 'ole and I called it quits for the
day, leaving it sticking out. Sod it, it can wait until I chisel the
plug out of the middle.

On the way home I dropped into my local hardware/farm store and picked
up a nice shiny Makita HR2470 SDS rotary stop drill with some bits and
chisel (only normal, these days) thrown in the case.

I love new power tools