Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flat parts machined on all sides?

On 2010-08-17, dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus28874 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:15:22 -0500:

This is actually a practical application, as someone said he may want
me to do a parts run for him.

Let's say that out of a flat stock, I want to cut out a part and it
needs to be beveled on all sides.

If its really flat, you can use a vacuum fixture, and machine 5 sides,
and if you know the trick, even drill holes through.

These two should work well for what I want.

They will do for onesy-twosy operations -- though I would
consider three to be better, so you could clamp in a third spot before
releasing the first -- less chance of the workpiece shifting -- rotating
around the sole remaining clamp pressure point.

But if you are doing a lot of something, I would suggest the
De-Sta-Co toggle clamps.

Drop into the MSC page (or catalog) and look at item 3
#65189706 -- with a soft pad to avoid marring. They are also available
with simply the slotted bar which you can put a bolt into -- and perhaps
polish the head a bit first if you want a heavier grip. This one is a
1000 lb clamp capacity for $21.07 each. Others are down to 600 lb
capacity -- or much less for really small ones.

Anyway -- when you operate the lever, the clamping bar lifts 90
degrees as the handle pivots out of the way.

There are other versions which push horizontally -- to hold the
workpiece against a stop on the table to start in the proper position.

Anyway -- they are very quick to operate to move the one out of
the area about to be machined and to lower another into the area already
machined.

To see the whole collection -- at least one other brand besides
De-Sta-Co -- just search on "Toggle Clamp". At least the first page
does not show anything which does not belong -- unlike with many
searches on their site.

Of course, you can find them on eBay -- or in one of your usual
lucky find areas.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564