Posted to alt.home.repair
Niner Niner is offline

Default Need advise on buying a drill press.

On Aug 17, 1:32*am, Mat wrote:
$69 *http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed...ess-38119.html

good reviews. Have one like it for 30+ years no problems

I've got a similar (although possibly not HF) knockoff drill of the
same size. I've used it to cut 9/16" holes in 1/4" plate steel. It
took a little time and plenty of cutting oil, but it did fine. If
anything, what made the biggest difference was getting a good drill
bit - I got a split point bit (dunno if it was cobalt) and it did a
lot better. Probably did a single hole in a matter of minutes, so not
like rigging it up and walking away, either.

My dad always points out I should use a metal punch of some type to
put a little divot in the metal to help keep the bit from walking
before it's started to bite into the metal. I'm bad about that, but
last time I tried it, it did work pretty well.

Henry