Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Opinions Requested - new 50"+ LCD TV

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
Well, I'm going to replace my 11 yr old 51" Panasonic projector.
Not because it doesn't work, actually works very well. It's highest
resolution is 480p. I'll be shopping for a new LCD set equal in size
or slightly larger soon. Of course I want a great fast picture with
super high contrast. And reliability. I might spend around $3000 US.
What are some choices and their advantages?

Panasonic's plasma sets generally get very good reviews, though their claim
of an "infinite black" doesn't match what Pioneer achieved in its last and
final Kuro models.

I've always liked Sony's better LCD sets. Quite a spectacular picture.

If the set has "local dimming", be sure it's shut off before judging the
picture.

Another thing... LCD sets with interpolated frames (a feature plasma sets
don't need) often turn a film image into something that looks like
videotape. Again, be sure this feature is turned off when evaluating the
set.

I doubt there are any 50" Kuros still around (and they went for $4K), but
you might look.

Although they require careful break-in, I'd look at plasma sets first.
They're better than LCD in every respect, except absolute brightness. I've
owned mine for over a year, and am still awed when I turn it on.

If you believe Consumer Reports, flat-screen sets, regardless of make,
model, or technology, are generally reliable.