Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flat parts machined on all sides?

"Pete C." on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:15:28 -0500

Jon Anderson wrote:

Ah, but with a CNC machine, you get to bonch parts of a higher
precision and tolerances (as well as expense) at a rate far exceeding
those possible with manual machining centers.

Especially given that a human will invariable and instinctively back off
as soon as things start making grunching noises, whereas a CNC will
happily continue feeding at the programmed rate until something stalls
or breaks...

Jon

Well, the "real" controls do monitor axis servo load limits and the like
and will trip e-stop on those limits, but on those big machines they can
do a lot of damage without nearing their limits. I've seen clamp bars
and vises with big slots milled through them when someone goofed. To the
machine it was just a normal cut with normal loads.

"Missed it by that much!" Crap.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich