Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Rubber Vs Plastic/Vinyl Garden Hoses ?

"Joe" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 6:31 pm, Bob wrote:
Hello,

It seems that the normal plastic/vinyl garden hoses get made cheaper and
cheaper each year.
Usually, in years past, it was at the fittings that started to leak on
mine first.
The ones I bought this year actually split and "blew out" along the
length. Two of them ! At least there is good "quality-control,"
I guess.

So, I'm thinking of perhaps trying one of the rubber type of garden hoses.

What are the pros and cons of vinyl/plastic vs. rubber garden hoses ?

Thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Sears Craftsman garden hoses used to be covered under warranty just
like hand tools. If that still applies, it is the best bargain
around.
FWIW, I hang my heavy duty rubber hoses on plastic hangers mounted 5
feet up on the wall. That gives you large loops to deal with and a 50'
hose can be put away quickly. Never did understand why people want to
get an honest appliance like a hose tucked out of sight in a funky
plastic box that IMO looks really pathetic. But whatever floats your
boat...

Joe

==

Wow. You have strong feelings about hose reels. How do you feel about
abortion?

Just kidding. I think it has some to do with location. I think your idea is
pretty good but for my house I'd have to pull the hose over to the side of
the house then hang it on the hanger and it's real easy to have a reel
situated where I can easily roll it up. Also, having a hose hanging off the
side of your house can look tacky if it's in plain view.

I didn't know I had such strong feeling lingering inside me about hose
reels!

g Jim