Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Best solder free electrical connection

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:09:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"RES" wrote in message

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
He told me that the dozen or so people who man the repair stations and
soldering irons are some of the most highly paid of the hourly workers,
since it takes a combination of manual dexterity, attention to detail
and patience to get the new components in place properly.

I can believe that. I have built some simple electronic devices using 5
or 6 of the old style ICs that had 14 to 40 pins on them and put
together some kits that had about 30 ICs on them.

I've been soldering (on and off) for well over 40 years, and find it
strangely satisfying! Last project was one of these:

http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120-2.htm

and these:

http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardw...ront_Panel.htm

Great fun to build and to program!

I have not tried any of the newer surface mounted devices. Doubt that I
ever will due to the size of them. Can't see the things and don't have
the tools to do it.

I keep meaning to have a go, since I seem to have mastered single-eye
soldering now.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org