Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default unintended consequences

pyotr filipivich wrote:
RBnDFW on Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:15:28 -0500 typed
pyotr filipivich wrote:
RBnDFW on Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:20:18 -0500 typed
Wes wrote:

I read about 650 wpm and for the one time in my life, I envied those that read slow.
That's the single reason I'm glad I never learned to speed-read.
I do enjoy a good book, and regret when I get to the end.
The author of Shogun (et al) - I forget his name - said that when
he was a POW during WW2 he realized that he had a lot of time on his
hands, and didn't know how long the war would last, so any books he
got, would have to last. So, one page a day. One page. Do not turn
the page to finish the sentence, wait till tomorrow.
But first, he just enjoyed the book. Looked at the actual
physical book, how it felt, hefted, the colors of the binding ... his
fellow POWs figured he'd gone nuts. But it did give him an
appreciation for literature.

I heard that, but I sure do like reading ebooks on my iPhone now

I remember when they started not providing hard copy manuals.
Great idea, but you couldn't take the computer to the bathroom. And
that is sort of my criterion: can I take the "book" with me to the
can?

uh, yes, I can, and do, read my phone in the can.
Don't tell my boss.