Posted to alt.home.repair
Kerry Kerry is offline

Default "whitetopping" an asphalt drive

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
It's hard to understand the reasoning behind such a regulation. I
really hope the OP finds out the "official reason" for the restrictions.

Until fairly recently, this area was a township, and had few
regulations. However, 12 years ago, people voted to incorporate as a
city under the name of the tiny town located in this township - mostly to
keep neighboring cities from continuing to "gobble up" the area.

Since then, the new city has been imposing lots of restrictions and
regulations.

One of these is that, while you CAN reseal an existing blacktop
driveway, you can not have it professionally repaired. New construction
only allows concrete drives with a long list of restrictions. (base must
be certain thickness, concrete must be 8" or more thick, cement must be
certain type, etc.)

When I looked up the resolution online, the reasoning was that asphalt
driveways decrease property value, in part due to the constant
maintenance required.

Please post a link for the resolution.

I find it hard to believe, concrete must be 8" thick for residential. Being
an Ohioan myself, and having been in construction for umpteen years, the
most I've seen is 4" for main drive with a 6" approach with a 2" compacted
base.