Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
gilbert gilbert is offline

Default Lathe tool storage

On Jul 6, 9:59*pm, "JimR" wrote:
After years of having too much work to have time to enjoy using a lathe in
my leisure time, I've finally changed my priorities.

I've started with a simple bowl and have a lot of other material waiting on
the shelf. *I've also updated my ancient 1980-era set of Craftsman lathe
tools with a new *boxed set of Sorby tools, plus several additinal
individual items, and just bought a tool with a carbide cutter as well as a
set of miniature tools for small turnings, bowl sander, etc. *I also got a
Nova chuck, and a Supernova chuck, extra faceplates, etc.

I started out with the old tools hanging on a pegboard screwdriver rack, and
then I put t;he individual tools into their plastic tubes or slip cases and
hung them from hooks on the pegboard. *But there's the boxed set, which I
haven't started to use yet, and the set of miniatures --

My question - how *do you store your tools and equipment so that they're
easily available, visible, and organized.

build yourself a box like a chest of drawers or armoire about 2' by 2'
by 6' or higher and load it up with drawers. the three sides that do
not have drawers (get a board and drill equally spaced holes that will
allow the gouges to slip in but not fall through and then screw it to
the side of box. this way the gouges can go in the holes and hang
there) can be used to place the gouges and whatever else you may need
all of the time. the drawers hold the boxed items and whatever you
canot hang and the rest gets hung on the outside of the armoire. to
make it really flexible place wheels on bottom and roll it where you
need it or out of the way.