Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Electricity costs.

On 15 Aug, 09:20, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
I know this is cheeky but I wondered if anyone would be willing to give me a
"price comparison" for their electric usage?

My house is a large 2 bedroom bungalow. I say large because we have large
rooms and a *big kitchen dining room and extra big sitting room *as well as
two double bedrooms.

There is no gas main where I am so I use all electric - economy 7

*The bill for this last year has come to £1086 . That includes the central
heating last winter. *The company is British Gas - so not the cheapest I am
sure but given its E7 none of them come in greatly cheaper for my area
(Cornwall) so I have stayed with who I know since they have been no trouble.

My eco conscious and money miser husband thinks our bill is high and wants
me to look for ways to cut it. *I cant find any.

He wants me to stop using my washing machine which goes on *once a week - or
maybe twice if I have anything big and my usual wash is 40 degrees although
I occasionally use the higher wash rates for bed clothes and towels.

He wants me to use the dishwasher less - I put it on every other day at
normal ( 55 degrees) wash *and he wants to switch the emersion heater off
altogether - it goes on for an hour each night to provide water for cleaning
and washing every day.
He says our bill is high ( the DD is £26 a month ) *but I cant see where
its going other than on things I need now.

My mum tells me her leccy bill is higher *than ours yet she uses a coal fire
central heating system ( but *my parents are old and need the heat so do
supplement it with electric fires and she has a much bigger house).

I just wondered what other people who are all electric in a comparable
situation might be paying.

Sorry to be a pain.

I don't use gas at all. We have no central heating just a small wood
burning stove. But we have massive insulation, 600mm on roof and outer
walls and quadruple glazing. We only need the stove for very cold
weather. The advantage of insulation is that it needs no
maintenance.
We have a solar heating panel for hot water, you might consider
this. You might consider an instantaneous electric shower if you
haven't got one. These jug things save a lot compared with a kettle
for hot water because you can heat just a cupfull of water if
required.
My electricity bill is £180/quarter.
We have a large three bedroom bungalow.